Amid reports his condition was worsening and doctors were concerned about his breathing, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was admitted to a hospital Sunday for “persistent” symptoms of the COVID-19 Chinese coronavirus according to a statement by his office, but remains in charge of the government. Johnson, 55, announced ten days ago on March 27 he had tested positive for the virus and was self-quarantining at 11 Downing Street. His pregnant fiance Carrie Symonds, 32, spent the past week in bed with coronavirus symptoms, was jot tested, but says she is “on the mend“. Johnson was seen in public on Thursday when he stood outside his 11 Downing Street residence for the nightly salute to healthcare workers, he posted a video on Friday updating his condition.
Motivational graphic posted to Johnson’s Twitter page earlier Sunday.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been admitted to hospital for tests, 10 days after testing positive for coronavirus, Downing Street has said.
He “continues to have persistent symptoms of coronavirus”, a spokeswoman said – including a high temperature.
It was described as a “precautionary step” taken on the advice of his doctor.
The prime minister remains in charge of the government and urged people to follow its social distancing advice…
The Guardian reported there have been rumors about Johnson’s health and concerns for his breathing:
…Downing Street insisted it was just a precautionary measure but Johnson’s admission on a Sunday evening comes after days of rumours that his condition has been worsening.
…The Guardian was told last week that Johnson was more seriously ill than either he or his officials were prepared to admit, and that he was being seen by doctors who were concerned about his breathing…
Johnson joined in the salute to healthcare workers Thursday evening:
Thank you to the NHS and all of our critical workers for all you are doing to fight #coronavirus. You really are an inspiration. #ClapForOurCarers #ThankYouThursday #ClapForKeyWorkers pic.twitter.com/SRm2cAkAnQ
— Boris Johnson #StayHomeSaveLives (@BorisJohnson) April 2, 2020
Johnson’s update on his condition posted Friday:
Another quick update from me on our campaign against #coronavirus.
— Boris Johnson #StayHomeSaveLives (@BorisJohnson) April 3, 2020